Saturday, July 02, 2011

Summer Saturdays (some 'er not...)

Houston is suffering through one of the worst heat-spells in recorded history; Texas is roasting through the Summer of 2011. I cannot believe I drove around in a Miata with no a/c for so many years (arguably, driving in at dark-thirty in the morning was not a challenge; being able to drive straight home in the heat for a cool shower and a change was the only way it was possible!)

A few years ago I began a routine of going to the gym regularly, and I've found that increasing my aerobic capacity has also enabled my body's natural evaporative cooling to work more efficiently. However, I still need something cool to chill down my engine--and replenish my energy--after a workout, and have discovered this simple concoction works best for me.

Note: If you are offended by the Reese's peanutbutter cup commercial ("...you got your chocolate on my peanutbutter..." etc.), stop here.
1. There are no such ingredients in this, if that's what you're looking for.
2. I think there is no finer combination of flavors for the palate on the planet.

I'm a big fan of the Magic Bullet personal blender.
I'm on my second one.
All of my smoothie and shakes are assembled in a Magic Bullet cup, so there's your reference space.
And now...the ingredients and their order of appearance and usage, for Brent's Famous Chocolate-Peanutbutter Blast:

Ingredients for Brent's Famous
Chocolate-Peanutbutter Blast
Start with a base of 3/4-cup of crushed ice.
1-scoop (36g) of protein powder--I prefer Gaspari Nutrition's Myfusion Protein Powder, conveniently flavored with peanutbutter and chocolate.


1-teaspoon of ground cinnamon powder


1-capfull (21g) of bee pollen--my preference is Walker's Bee Pollen pellets

Gently shake this mixture from side to side to settle the powders into the crushed ice. Add cold water until it just reaches the top of this mix.

Add 1-teaspoon of fat-free crunchy peanutbutter--I prefer Jif.
My mom was choosy.

Add crushed ice to just below the threads at the top of the Magic Bullet cup (who needs measuring cups, when you've got a standard of volume already here??) and add cold water to the top of the mix.

Finally, add 5 dark-chocolate covered Espresso beans (I get mine at World Market), and securely tighten the lid on the cup of the Magic Bullet cup. Invert, gently shake to even the mixture, and begin to blend for two to three minutes, or until the chunks stop meeting the blender blades with that crunchy thump. Allow the blender to run until the mixture is smoothly circulating in the cup; should be the consistency of a good, thick milkshake.

Special note: I call this my Chocolate-Peanutbutter Blast, but it should not be confused with the Blasts, Blizzards, and other sugar-and-fat-laced concoctions you can get at the local Dairy Queen: If you invert this with the lid off, have a mop close by!

No comments: