Thursday, October 18, 2007

Health Tips

In Portland, Maine, the school system is passing out contraceptives to Junior High students. The school board wants to do the responsible thing.

Are 11-12-13 year old punks really prepared for this? (Apparently, a half-dozen of these children are sexually active already...)

Talk about the tail wagging the dog. Maybe there's too much tail-wagging going on between classes. In the NAVY they call it "trim."

Here's a notion--instead of passing out condoms or birth control pill sets for free (and with those tools, the tacit green light to party hearty), how about passing out free tutoring for math, science and English? You know, educational stuff that would really benefit a student, maybe even keep him or her too busy to think about recreational procreation.

I acted responsibly earlier this week and took a flu shot. For the past two years, I've led a fairly sheltered life, staying home as I recovered from cancer surgery and the complications that ensued. Didn't have a lot of exposure to the flu.

Thank goodness my recovery has progressed, and I get out and about a litte more these days. So Monday night, I thought it would be prudent to get a flu shot.

By Tuesday afternoon, I was feeling flu-ish as my body began to react to the fake flu, and produced antibodies to fight it. By Wednesday, I was in full-blown yuk-stage, with the aches and emissions that generally accompany the flu. Wasn't sick, mind you. Just felt crummy.

So, a word to the wise: If you're going to get a flu shot, maybe plan to get it on a Thursday or Friday, so you have the weekend to lie around like a slug and get over it. I could crawl under this table right now and catch 40-winks without much encouragement.

I am going to be off the air tomorrow, attending a special workshop to increase my brain power. Be back on Monday, bending spoons with my mind. See you on the Radio!

No comments: